Lighting Hire Tips
Are you arranging an event, party or wedding reception that requires cost effective room lighting? Our 5 quick tips will point you in the right direction and ensure your party or wedding reception looks great.
Tip 1. Daylight – What sort of ambient light is in your party location? High levels of daylight will washout even the brightest LED lighting. Don’t waste money on hiring in lighting unless you are holding your event in a space where any ambient light can be controlled, especially so during the summer months.
Tip 2. If you are hiring a lighting set-up, speak to the hire company about the power that you have available. Most modern LED lighting can be powered from a standard mains socket, even running multiple lights isn’t usually a problem. However do take in to account all the equipment, sound system etc. that will be on at the same time. The hire company will be able to tell you the total power consumption of everything you’re hiring. If you are having catering with hot plates etc. these consume a lot of power and will definitely need careful consideration and factoring in.
Tip 3. Hire sound-to-light systems. Unless you have very specific requirements for moving lights, many modern disco or party lights have a built-in automatic function that moves the light in time with music. This automatic mode will avoid the need for a lighting desk and any of the complicated programming, in turn saving you money. Just remember to position the lighting and sound in close proximity, as the bass line is what drives the lighting movement. But remember when the music stops so will the lighting! If anyone makes a speech through the sound system this can also create an odd effect, with the lights moving randomly to their voice. So consider turning the moving lights off or switching the main room lights on during any speeches.
Tip 4. Up-light the features around your venue. This works especially well for weddings where your theme colour can easily be carried throughout the room, entrance hall etc. We hire a range of battery powered, multi-coloured LED up-lighters that run for up to 8 hours on a single charge. Up-lighting walls and architectural features is a cost effective way to theme a room, it will add impact and give real lift to what otherwise maybe a plain wall in a room or hallway.
Tip 5. We hire a range of portable disco and party lights that will fit in a standard car boot, are easy to set-up and to operate. Our 'Gig-Bar' hire is especially popular for hassle free, self operate lighting. If however you require more of a wow factor for your event, our lighting hire team can specify, deliver and operate a lighting rig that will make your party or event look fantastic. Contact one of the team on 0800 122 3139 or have a look at our Nottingham Equipment Hire page for more details: www.nav.co.uk/index.php/hire-events
Funeral Sound & Video Relays
We have many years experience supplying video screens for funerals and remembrance services across Nottingham and Derbyshire, we also hire large screens to play tributes at funeral services or at the wake.
For larger funeral services where the mourners may exceed the capacity of the church, we provide funeral sound relay systems to adjacent rooms or buildings or even temporary marquees. We have a range of outdoor weatherproof sound systems for relaying funeral services to mourners outside a church or funeral service location.
In addition to sound relays for funerals we supply funeral video relay systems that enable mourners to witness the funeral service and pay their respects. Typically we will make a site visit to the funeral venue a week or so before the funeral to discuss technical logistics i.e. camera and microphone locations, these will be as discreet as possible so as not to intrude on the service itself. We utilise Full HD cameras with long zoom lenses meaning we can usually work from the back of the church and still pick-up the sermons and any readings. The camera angles and content will be carefully considered and appropriate to the sensitive nature of funeral filming. The sound is picked up via microphones sited at various key points around the church. Both the audio and HD video is then cabled to the adjacent location (usually within 100m). We can also make provision for further audio overflow outside the relay location, should there be mourners gathered outside.
There are a number of options for funeral overflow rooms including projectors and large screens or where there is significant ambient lighting, large LCD or LED display screens or videowalls. The funeral sound will be relayed to a suitable large sound system with multiple speakers, ensuring the mourners in the relay location are able to pay their respects and see and hear the service in full.
Generally we wouldn’t record a funeral service unless requested to do so. Should however the family request it, we can provide a full recording service. This is occasionally requested for relatives, who for instance may live abroad, or simply cannot attend the funeral or other reasons.
We pride ourselves on the level service we deliver for funeral video and sound relays. Our experienced funeral AV technical team will liaise directly with either the funeral director, church representative or the family as preferred, providing a discreet but comprehensive funeral filming service.
One of our recent funeral video and audio relays resulted in the following comment from the family;
“I am pleased to tell you that my family and I were not only impressed with your immediate response and willingness to help, but with the absolute professionalism provided to us. The standard of the video link was superb and I can tell you the positive feedback from mourners has been overwhelming. All this speaks volumes about you and your team of trusted capable staff.”
Based between Nottingham and Derby we preferred the AV suppliers to AW Lymn Funeral Directors, with 25 offices in Nottingham and South Derbyshire. For more details on their high levels of service and care visit: www.lymn.co.uk
For more details on AV for funerals contact the team at our Nottingham Office Tel. 0800 122 31 39
Here is a Case Study of a recent funeral we supported in Nottingham. www.nav.co.uk/index.php/funeral-sound-relay
Portable Line Array - PA Hire for Conferences & Events
Large line arrays flown from the rigging above the stage of an arena tour or large conference are a familiar sight, the vertical curve of the array is designed to deliver even sound coverage across the entire audience. Line array systems can often be costly to hire and the rigging required can be involved, these implications often reduce the feasibility of line array hire for smaller events. However recent advances in technology have seen the line array concept scaled down and made available in compact, affordable systems that are now available to hire from NAV.
The HK Elements system consists of a vertical column of high and mid drivers combined with a 10” subs. Arranging the drivers in this way alters the dispersion of the sound, creating a sound pattern that fans across the audience with reduced level directed towards the ceiling and the floor. The resulting sound is also more consistent front to back of a room, leading to increased listening comfort for those in the audience seated in close proximity to an array, whilst people further back can still hear a simillar, acceptable level.
The physical size and appearance of the HK Elements system belies it's quality and power output. Each array stack also has the advantage of taking up far less floor space than a conventional speaker and tripod stand, making it a popular choice for PA hire at conferences and corporate events where floor space is at a premium.
Health & Safety is also improved, as unlike conventional speakers and stand set-ups the HK Arrays are not at all 'top heavy', minimising the risk of accidents in an audience or event space. Overall the response from hire customers to our new HK systems has been nothing but 100% positive, with most stating they would not now go back to a conventional PA systems with heavy speakers on tripod stands.
We offer sound system hire for events in Nottingham, Derby and Leicester. Our HK Elements line array hire prices start from only £45.00+VAT. For 1x Sub & a HK Array column.
See http://www.nav.co.uk/index.php/hk-elements-pa-package for PA hire in Nottingham, Derby or Leicester. Alternatively call our Hire Desk on 0800 122 3139 and speak to one of our team for more specific details and pricing on your event sound system requirements.
10 Tips for saving money on AV hire for events.
1. Do your research - Take some time to choose an AV supplier who has experience in delivering the type and level of event you’re arranging. If you’re holding a glitzy awards ceremony for 1000 people it’s unlikely the local 1 man AV business will have the resources to deliver at that level, equally though there are many smaller AV production companies who excel when delivering small to mid-sized conferences and events.
2. Web & Social - Study supplier websites and don’t forget their social media channels. Websites are usually the polished, high-end overview of what a supplier does, whereas social media, Facebook and Twitter etc. often give a better insight in to the real day-to-day activities of an AV production company.
3. Don’t pay for a production company if you don’t need one! There is a fine and slightly blurred line between an AV Hire company and an AV Production company. Be clear from the outset what level of support you need and subsequently are willing to pay for. If you need every element of your event taking care of, from booking the venue to delegate registration, you will undoubtedly be able to justify the additional expense of an Events Organiser and a Production company. However some AV hire companies will project manage all the technical aspects of an event for you as part of their AV package, this can lead to substantial savings if you are happy to do some of the other event organising yourself.
4. Share your budget – There’s often a reluctance on the part of event organisers to disclose budgets during the quoting process, however assuming you’re being realistic, this is the main indicator to an AV supplier of where to pitch their quote with regards to equipment specification. For instance, our hire projectors start at £30 per day for a basic desktop model, rising to over £1,000 for a high brightness, laser model suitable for very large screens or high brightness environments. There’s often a middle ground with AV kit hire i.e ‘budget vs spec’. Establishing a client’s proposed budget early on in the quote process will enable a good AV hire supplier to submit a tailored quote that will deliver on performance, but hopefully within your budget.
5. Don’t try to ‘cherry-pick’ a quote – Unless you have good technical knowledge don’t go through an AV suppliers quote looking for the higher priced items to remove in an attempt to reduce the overall price. You wouldn’t remove key ingredients from a cake recipe simply to make it cheaper! If you do need to reduce the quote, ask the AV supplier what, if anything can be amended. In some circumstances there maybe things that can be altered or tweaked slightly to bring it in on budget.
6. Look out for ‘Approved Suppliers’ – Many hotels and venues have relationships with approved AV suppliers. Whilst on the face of it this can appear to be the easy option, you will often pay a premium for this service. If you have an established relationship with an AV company ask them to quote too! Even if they have to travel to your venue there can still often be substantial savings to be made. We regularly travel worldwide and still offer savings over the local AV supplier!
7. Make sure it’s ‘like-for-like’ – If you are comparing quotes ensure the specification is the same or at least very similar. One screen, projector, stage, sound system and lighting quote for instance could be £1,000’s per day more than another. That doesn’t necessarily mean one is wrong, it just means you need to establish which is most suitable for your conference or event. So if you do receive quotes that seem miles apart in price, ask questions and take the time to try and understand why.
8. Get support – All successful conferences and events have a team of people working hard behind the scenes ensuring the technical side of things go to plan. It’s tempting to look at an AV quote and think ‘Do I really need AV Technicians?’. Inevitably the answer is yes, you probably do! And one Technician running everything is probably not a great idea either. On the day, remember everything that happens on stage will be in their capable hands; good sound, lighting and seamless on-screen content are key elements in an event’s overall success, it really does pay not to leave them to chance.
9. De-brief on the technical – Having a wash-up or de-brief with your AV team after the event is a great way to gather opinion on how they think things went and any improvements that could be made for your next event. AV crews see events day in, day out and they tend to know what works well and usually have valuable opinions on what doesn’t!
10. Work with great people – Maybe this should be No.1 in this list! Great people produce great events. Even with the best audio visual kit in the world you’ll never excel without the people to match. Find an AV supplier you enjoy working with and who shares your event vision; good teamwork is key. Follow 1-10 on this list and you’re more likely to hold an event which is on budget and memorable for your delegates for all the right reasons.
NAV are an AV supplier based in Nottingham who offer AV kit hire and technical production support for conferences & events nationwide. Our prices are realistic and always great value. Our AV technical team all have a ‘can-do’ attitude and we enjoy helping our clients deliver memorable events.
Whether your conference production requirements are large or small, simple or challenging, we can supply all the AV kit and technical support ensuring your next event is delivered to the highest standards, on time and importantly within your budget.
For more details on AV equipment hire and AV production for conferences & events: http://www.nav.co.uk/index.php/hire-events or call
0800 122 3139 to speak to one of our team.
We produce corporate and company videos in Nottingham and Nationwide, however we also offer a complete Conference and Event video recording service we work nationwide including London and Manchester. If you are arranging a conference or planning an event we can cover all your video production requirements.
We identified that sourcing a conference video recording company was not always straightforward, with very few production companies offering any online details or pricing, with this in mind we launched our new website: www.filmAconference.com
The site offers clear, concise packages for conference filming, event recording, conference cameraman in Nottingham, Manchester, London and across the UK. To keep things simple all the conference video packages are clearly listed with prices and camera kit specs.
So if you are looking for filming for a conference, seminar, gala dinner or an awards night visit www.filmaconference.com for more details.